Sunday, October 29, 2006

Back to Basics part 2

The actual first "real" ride.

Well the build is completely done. I chose to go with the 52 front and at the insistence of the shopkeeper at the LBS a 19 tooth rear track cog. I originally wanted to go with a 52/16 but that was way to aggressive. The rims from last time were also changed out. I decided not to throw the Hed3's on for a winter trainer.

The front cranks are Shimano XT with a 52 big chainring. The rear cog is a Surly 19 tooth with NO freewheel.


Now for the first ride I wasn't sure what to expect for having never rode a fixed gear bike before. The aggressive gearing even at 19 was a little tough starting out from a dead stop. After momentum has started getting used to the pedals moving no matter what, took a few miles to get used to. Imagine being in the big ring in the front and almost the little ring in the rear and never being able to shift gears throughout the entire ride, not something one is used to. The hardest part for me was the "no freewheel" option there. I was going to hit a rather large bump in the road, so I pulled up a bit to "freewheel" and let the knees absorb the bump but wait, I do not have a freewheel. Well the cranks kept going, catapulting me up in the air holding on to the handlebars only. Since I was going over a bridge at the time, thank god there was a railing there or I would have been off the road completely. Slamming down on the seat on my tailbone, I grabbed the aerolever and pulled it for a stop to catch my breath. It freaked me out a little bit.

Other than the one "scare" the fixie was a little tougher than I thought. I did a 10 mile route in about 40 minutes. Not having the ability to "take a break" while riding will take a bit of getting used to. I will put in the time over the winter and in the spring the work should pay off. I will have stronger legs that are used to the demands of a full circle, powerful pedal stroke. Keep pedaling!!

3 Comments:

Blogger jwm said...

See also, RR tracks, Drinking from waterbottle, stretching. The road certainly will require your attention. Be safe out there.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice.
The only other thing that could keep your legs moving like that would be being chased.
I think your method is safer.
Good luck.

11:06 PM  
Blogger :) said...

Looks great!

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home