Sunday, November 12, 2006

Steady pace vs. run/walk

I got to thinking on my run today. Would I be faster going from point A to point B if I.....

1 - Did the run/walk thing

or

2 - painfully slow steady pace but do not stop

Well I did the 3.1 mile route today using both. I didn't relly prove anything today other than I gotta get out and run more. I figured that if I did the run walk thing that I could go out at the 7 min/mile pace and walk when I was shot, walk to recover the heart rate. Now if I would have just ran constant at say 10:00 min per mile would I have produced the same results?

I am looking for people to chime in with their results doing the same thing. Do the same route once by run/walking than another going at a steady pace with out walking but a pace that it easy. I want to get a broad range of results to come upwith some solid numbers to compare. Help me out if you can :)

5 Comments:

Blogger jwm said...

Run, at faster than a painfully slow steady pace. If that means you have to walk 1 min in 10, then do it.. Just my 2 cents. RUN!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Paul Fleuren said...

Well I did the 3.1 mile route today using both. I didn't relly prove anything today other than I gotta get out and run more.

There's your answer.
How much are you running?, what are you aiming for?

"I figured that if I did the run walk thing that I could go out at the 7 min/mile pace and walk when I was shot, walk to recover the heart rate."

If your shot. Then I think that maybe you might be running to hard. Use a hr cap that is at your Aet. You will quickly reach this if you don't run with good form.(theres your focus)
I would only use the run/walk stratehy, not really to get faster, but to address the issues you are faced with at aid stations in an IM run. For example, in my specific prep I would incoporate running 9min with a 1min walk every 2ks. Do that and you'll run a 3:30 IM

"Now if I would have just ran constant at say 10:00 min per mile would I have produced the same results?"

The improvements in running will come from running consistently without breaks while holding perfect form (it begins to break down well before we start getting tired). This develops your efficiency which is needed in order to run well and alot (injury resistance). Your goal should be to develop durability in order to run an entire IM

Good topic

paul

4:02 AM  
Blogger Allez said...

I don't know, but I've always wondered the same thing.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'll have to give that a try. I'll let you know. :)

11:54 PM  
Blogger Tri-Dummy said...

Check out Marc...@ Clydesdales have big bikes. He just finished a HIM w/a run-walk. He's on RaceAthlete and posted the story on the forum.

What you're looking for?

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home