Saturday, April 21, 2007

Commit me!

Well this is the day I start training for this season. I know I have said this before but this time there is a reason. For the past few years I have done the Crazylegs Classic in downtown Madison with a few thousand fellow Badger fans but after last years running disaster I am changing strategys. I am going to limit the running untill the half actually gets closer. Last year I had major ITB trouble from running/peaking too early. I will start serious running for the half IM at the end of May. For the immediate, pound the bike miles ad swim like a fish. This is what bring me full circle to my point. I emailed back the race director for the J-Hawks earlybird sprint tri to reserve my spot. Up to this point I really haven't seriously trained at all. I ran a few times, biked a few more but I have swam a lot. So why not see how much fitness I lost from last season?

I estimated my 500 yard swim at 9 minutes. I figured it slower, then that is better for me fro confidence. I would rather lap people in the pool swim than be lapped! The one hang up I have is the bike issue. While I have put on more miles this winter and spring than I have in the past few years it will all change. I was told my new TTX will be out of the paint department on Wednesday and hopefully assembled by friday. So going into the race on sunday I will have one ride on the new bike. What a way to break it in! I could use the old ride but why? it is still a great bike but just the feel of riding carbon on the race course just makes me want to hit it extra hard.

While finshing a sprint is no trouble, I do want to have a good showing. I figure I will be able to beat my times from the past years the way things are now in my training. This was the first tri I ever did many years ago. I will have my brother and his wife to be there also doing this so it will be a fun time. I can always try to chase him down, ya know my rabbit to keep up with on teh course.

I am going to jinx myself here and make a race prediction. Here goes:
swim 500 yards - 9:00
bike 16 miles - new bike 45:00 minutes / old bike 49 minutes
run 3.1 miles - 25:30 minutes

I will post pics and results (no matter how painfull) next monday. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Blogger Triteacher said...

LOL - So I'm not the only one a little superstitious (not to mention downright nervous) about posting predicted times. :) Good luck!

7:45 PM  
Blogger The Fool said...

You will do fine! Don't worry about the bike, it's a sprint right?

Good racing to you.

10:14 PM  
Blogger jo-na said...

oh, no - your brother's married?? i was hoping to get to him first. *sigh* maybe i'll get to meet the lucky girl someday... ;)

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home